Tuesday, April 21, 2009

T-Drama: My Queen (败犬女王)


One if the main reason that I am lagging behind the summaries is because I am totally hooked on the Taiwan drama "My Queen" - 败犬女王 (Watch Eng sub video)

Initially, I didnt think much of the drama as the first few episodes was frankly a little uninteresting for me. However for Ethan playing as the lead man, I decided to watch more and I was kindly rewarded! He was really funny here and I love his lines that never fail to tickle me to bits.

The story is about a 33 years old career woman Wu Shuang, who was a failure in every social aspect and her excellence in her job was her only saving grace. At 33 years a sensitive age where one should have long got married, yet she refused to believe in love anymore after being abandoned by her fiance 6 years ago where he disappeared on her.

In one Xmas, while following on a lead to expose a lying politician, she snatched a bicycle from a guy Lucas who was acting as santa claus for the orphanage kids. This encounter was the begining of their interwinned fate.

Lucas acted by Ethan, was evicted from his rental flat and got into a debt due to denting the car of a mafia resulting from his chance of Wu. By chance moved in as a neighbor next to her. His company with his childhood friend JJ, was asked to play a prank on Wu by her colleagues who detested her. However, Lucas felt sorry for her and saved her from embarrassement at the nick of moment. Not wanting to be alone that night, she pleaded Lucas for company that night and was willing to pay him. Lucas however rejected any payment and told her she was worthy of someone being nice and true to her without offering any money. That night, Lucas had innocently only plan to at noodles and play card games but Wu mistook it as a night for causal fling. As she "seduced" him to bed, only to find out his true age of 8 years her junior, she freaked out and throw him out of her apartment in a flash!

The story goes on to how Lucas become her colleague and how their relationship developed.

It is up to episode 15 now and I spend the last 4 days catching up on all. 5 more epi to go! I really like this drama for its humor though some parts can be a little draggy with all the recaps. However, I think the dialogue is pretty real, witty and in touch with reality. It deals with the emotions of a woman who was left behind and how she struggle to cope with the sudden unexpected loss. As her lost love suddenly return just when she started to fall in love, she was caught in a dilema, as to which guy she should chose. The stable and familiar, or the new and exciting? It's done with much humour without melo-drama or bitterness, yet able to pull your heart string, nudging at your sympathy for her plight. The banter between her and Lucas was truly funny.

Well, I dont know how the drama will end yet but I have high hopes. It's another one Taiwan drama I would recommend for a light hearted romantic comedy.

6 comments:

elisa said...

around a month or two ago, i did get to start watching this drama. i did enjoy it a lot however, there are few translators around so i guess i stopped at episode5. will probably catch up with it if i find a good subbed version in the net.

so many dramas so little time...and yes, books too. and have to deal with my kids' summer reading list...thanks again.

Angela said...

I normally don't watch Taiwanses drama although I am Taiwanese. I accidentally watched one episode of "My Queen" during my trip back to Taiwan in April and now I'm hooked on it after I got back to the States!
It's exciting to see who Wu Shuang chooses at the end. Initially I really like Leslie (her old love) but now I'm leaning more toward Lucas (cute!).

angela

TvADddict said...

Too much to watch, too much to do and too little time!!! I am in the exact same boat, minus the kids's summer reading! Haaaa haaa

TvADddict said...

Hey Angela!

yeah this drama is addictive isnt it?!

I think Wu shuang choose Lucas in the end though I feel sooooooo sorry for her senior (old love). It's such a bitter sweet story isnt it? If I am in her shoes, I would be ripped apart in agony too wondering which man is a better companion for her.... however, the 6 years gap has changd both her and Leslies and they can never go back to the same footing again, hence I think i can rationalise if she does choose Lucas in the end...

The only person I wanted to strangle was that girl Jia Jia..she is one revengeful bitch who has no concept of consequences!

Anonymous said...

I'm no where near to being an Asian, but i am so hooked on Taiwanese Dramas. I'm loving, loving, loving, did i mention loving?, My Queen. I hated Wu Shuang in the first episode, all i could think was 'WHAT A BITCH'. It took the 2nd episode to warm up to the show and her. It's so hilarious, the dialogue is definitely witty. I'm only on episode 9 but she had better end up with little strawberry.

Anonymous said...

i've never been much of a fan of t-dramas but after being completely sold by 'black & white', randomly decided to catch another t-drama & picked 'my queen'... YES... hook, line & sinker! i love it all the way although yes, some parts tended to drag & it was painful to see wushuang turning from someone so confident to a bag of insecurities.
i can now also understand the amazing charisma called ethan ruan!