Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A moment for the dead...

Shall we take a few minutes to say prayers for the 8 Hong Kong tourist hostages who was shot to death last night in the Manila hostage crisis. What was supposed to be a happy holiday ended up as tragic senseless demise for some families, just because some Filippino ex police decided to seek "justice" for his sacking the wrong way.

I dont comprehend why he thought that killing innocent people will justify his cause or gather any votes in his favor? Is that what police officers trained to protect lifes suppose to do, regardless if they are in active duties? Shooting someone to death in cold blood? Anyone should know by now that the govt will never give in to demands of terrorists or individuals who hold others in ransom. Because giving in will only set precedence and give way to others trying to emulate the stance. So why do wayward people still persists in doing things that only serve to harm themselves further, and others in the process? Are some people just so selfishly stupid to never learn from the numerous past cases?

As the gunman slumped dead out of the shattered glass door,  I watched live on TV seeing him with blood gushing out of his wound, I was trying to make some sense out of all these mess and chaos. He never got what he set out to achieve. He died for nothing. He will never be there to "prove" his innocence in his extortion charge. He will always be blamed for his guilt in killing those innocent holiday makers. I was crossing my fingers when the first 3 hostages came out alive. However when the police stopped carting out the bodies after number 4, and I saw the cop inside the bus looking downwards on the floor, it was then I knew the remaining 7 people were dead. If they were not rushing to cart out the bodies to hospital, it only meant that time wasnt an issue anymore..for the dead. My heart fell...and hopes dashed. I cannot imagine family members who were glued to the TV for updates must have felt...

The most mortifying part wasnt just watching the rescue mission nor the shooting, what chilled my heart was to actually hearing people laughing in the background when the reporters were giving a live update. Not once, but several times! I think it came from the crowd milling around the reporters. How can someone be laughing at such a moment? I was more shock by that behaviour than the gunman;s behaviour! I hope someone could track that jackasre who was laughing and give him a serious smack on the head.

Violence never solve any problems. It is reprehensible. It only sets to create more problems. No matter what the Philippine Govt says or will say to account for the incident, it is all too little, too late. The dead will never see any sunrise again.

news:%20Hong%20Kong%20criticizes%20handling%20of%20Manila%20hostage%20crisis

2 comments:

olive said...

There's not enough words to express my frustration, anger for this news. As a Filipino myself, I feel more disappointed not only of the police force but in our government, media in general. I could go on about this the whole day, but we already did. This had been the talk of everyone here in Manila and I don't want to relive those helpless and frustrating moments.

Our heart goes to the innocent people to died. Hong Kong national or not, nobody deserved that. This would inevitably impact the way other countries look at our country, and sadly affect Filipinos working in Chinese populated countries. I already read some comments from Hong Kong saying that he will be firing his Filipina maid because of what happened. Not every Filipino is like Mendoza.

Tvadddict said...

I think people who are looking at Filippinos differently are over reacting. I personally wont take the fault of the govt and pin it on the people.

However the incident has definitely worsen my opinion of the govt and it looks bad for the ruling parties and the authories. In the past, it was just rumoured corruption...now its shown on on telecast their incompetencies too...

There are discussions here, if Mendoza was a pawn, a victim of some inner conspiracy. What if he was truly innocent? What if he was not willing to take the take and people went out to destroy his career? It doesnt make what he did right but at least he had shown some compassion to release the chilren and the old man and I think in some way, I am thankful for that. However, a good deed will not right the grievous mistake he made. He should never have pointed a gun at any innocent.

I think women working out of Philippines are the "true" hero of the country because they are the ones who are supporting the nation by sending money back with their hard work. And if anyone takes it out on the filippino helper, than it only makes that ignorant person to be as bad as Mendoza, directing anger at the innocents.