Wednesday, August 4, 2010

New T-Drama: Zhong Wu Yan

Just started on another taiwanese drama "Zhong Wu Yan (鍾無艷)" (official site). It is starring Cheryl Yang (from My Queen) as Wu Yan, and Ming Dao as QiXuan.

This drama has drawn much criticisms and flak since the first 2 episodes has aired. Many were directed at Ming Dao for playing such a dumb guy and audiences felt that it was impossible for a smart woman like Wuyan to fall for a guy like this.

My thoughts (to date after 2 ep)
Personally, while I didnt like the first 10mins of the first episode with the lame "historical start", yet after settling in  I actually didnt quite mind the show for its slap stick humour. This is prob also I have no great expectations ( or rather expecting it to be very slap stick), and that I dont have an idolised image of Ming Dao.

While Ming Dao as an actor had actually apologised to the crew for the backlash, I think he has nothing to apologise because I actually do like the way he translate and interpret the character and did it well. QiXuan character is supposed to symbolise the King Qi of olden china, who was a good for nothing guy. So the script requires Ming Dao to play a really "brainless" guy. I was laughing at the way he speak in the drama because he fitted the image of a dumb guy perfectly!!! I dunno what Taiwanese audience are complaining about, prob that they still have that "princely" image of him from the frog prince drama. They forget as a serious actor, he should be able to play a variety of characters which I think he did it very well in context of what is required of him.

I like the way QiXuan being so forthright called Wuyan as he sees it, an ugly girl. It wasnt malicious and Ming Dao come across as a genuine little boy who didnt grow up with his words. Its so funny.

I think I will keep watching because it is light hearted but I wont say it is a must watch. However compared to Summer's Desire, I had more laughs and entertainment value from Zhong Wu Yan for now. I hope Ming Dao will not change his acting skills too drastically later after all the bombardment because it is his interpretation of silly boy that drew me in. I havent decided if I want to do summaries for this yet. Will monitor the next few ep to see how it measures up.

Story plot background (watch soju)
The story plot basicallyreinvents the "historical" story of Zhong Wu Yan in which she lives in the 21st century. Wu Yen is intelligent and compassionate, but she lacks Beauty, born with a red birth patch on one side of her face. However since she was young, she had "blindly" adored QiXuan as he had complimented her red patch as pretty like Mudan flower rather than mock her as everyone else had. Grown up, Zhong Wu Yan continues to track the news and social updates about QiXuan who is now one of the city's most desired bachelor.

Unfortunately, QiXuan is a good looking but extremely empty-headed guy who is lacking academically, thus resulting in much jokes due to his typo or misinterpreatation of words. However, he remains a good nature and kind hearted guy. As a kid, his repeated failure to please his father (with top grades) regardless of his hard work resulted in a young man who stopped trying as he felt he and his efforts will never be acknowledged. Currently, he waste his life away chasing after skirts of beauty and immense in booze and women.

Through chanced incident, Wuyan and Qi Xuan got "reacquainted". The father realised that his only son is not hopeless imbecile afterall but just lacking a good mentor to guide him. As such, he proposed a marriage between the two. Despite Wuyan's numerous success in saving him from being overthrown from his father's company, QiXuan nonetheless prefers the beautiful Xia Ying Chun everytime the storm dies down. So it becomes a mystery to her friends and family as to why she still sticks around her good for nothing fiancé.



History reference:  Zhong Wu Yan China history

1 comment:

Connie Tan said...

I fully support Zhong Wu Yan new drama. I didn't felt anything wrong in this drama. This drama very fantastic drama as i could say.

Now i'm waiting for episode 7.